This Page

has been moved to new address

Marfa, TX

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hipstercrite: Marfa, TX

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Marfa, TX


The Marfa Film Festival is coming up on April 29-May 3rd (and Larry McMurtry will be there!)
What's Marfa, Texas you ask? (native Texans roll their eyes)
Marfa is a tiny artist oasis deep in the desert of West Texas. Marfa has a population of a little over 2,000 residents and only two traditional hotels.

Why is a town of only 2,000 so popular? Well, after minimalist Donald Judd moved to Marfa in the early 70's, the city has since become a popular haven for artists and hipsters. The city boasts a number of galleries and foundations and that perfect photo op of the vacant road median or big Texan sky reflection in your side view mirror.


The city's charm was not left unnoticed by Hollywood either (of course not, Hollywood always has to whip out it's dick and piss everywhere ) where movies such as GIANT, THERE WILL BE BLOOD, and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN were filmed.


And if you watch "Gossip Girl", you might have noticied the Prada Marfa sign that hangs in Lily's condo. Prada Marfa is a 15 X 25' Prada "store" on a barren stretch of Interstate 90 outside of Marfa. The store isn't really a store at all, but rather an art installation piece.


Every month I announce that I will be making a road trip to Marfa.
I have yet to go.
I will make it this time, by God.
I have to. I need to be on that road.
It's one of the few places where I feel like I'm home.
Driving down a deserted stretch of highway, alone, the window down, Bruce Springsteen playin'....that's what life is all about, isn't it?

Marfa road trip mixed tape:
The Wanderer- Johnny Cash and U2
Leavin' Las Vegas by Sheryl Crow
Wicked Game- Chris Isaak
Dead Sound- The Raveonettes
King of the Rodeo- Kings of Leon
I Only Want You- Eagles of Death Metal
Chinese Translation- M. Ward
Graceland- Paul Simon
Just Like Honey- The Jesus and Mary Chain
Knocked Up- Kings of Leon
Dramamine- Modest Mouse
If I Had a Boat- Lyle Lovett
I'm on Fire- Bruce Springsteen
Graduation Day- Chris Isaak
Lust- The Raveonettes
I Shall Believe- Sheryl Crow
Atlantic City- Bruce Springsteen


2 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Blogger Stephanie Hardie said...

So you're going for the film fest?

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Billi London-Gray said...

I've spent a few months in Marfa. You should definitely go. I have some friends who host couchsurfers if you don't want to be at the Paisano. Join couchsurfing.com - their place is great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home