This Page

has been moved to new address

Yes, I like karaoke. AND YES, I'M PROUD OF IT!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hipstercrite: Yes, I like karaoke. AND YES, I'M PROUD OF IT!

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Yes, I like karaoke. AND YES, I'M PROUD OF IT!

One of the many reasons why Austin is much cooler than your city, is that it boasts a karaoke tournament.

That's right.

This isn't just any ol' karaoke tournament. It's the f'ing National Karaoke League.

And you're talking to one of the champions right here.

Yep.

Team Steve Perry's Excellent Adventure.

In last year's tournament, we went from being in last place to winning the entire championship in one evening, much to the other teams dismay.

It was like a scene out of any formulaic 80's comedy. We were the nerdy team, the underdog, the John Cusack that rallied against the bullies, the dudes with the polo shirts and perfectly coiffed blonde hair, the James Spaders. 

I took off my pants, Nolan ripped off his shirt, a girl fell and hit her head. 

It was the evening of all evenings.

After competing in yet another round of competition on Sunday (where we happily and willing lost to a drag queen), we've decided to get the team back together. This time, under the new moniker- Steve Perry's Return to Innocence.

Take a peak inside Austin's karaoke world....
And if you have any interest in hearing me sing, go here






1987 hits sing/dance-along at the Alamo Drafthouse





Michael Jackson sing/dance-along at the Alamo Drafthouse the day after he died. The energy in the room was overwhelming. It was that night I decided my goal in life was to make people sing and dance A LOT after I die. 



Me screaming for my life after Jennine threw me down on the ground and started humping me in front of 100 people at the Highball. 


Ludwig, Nolan, and Adley as the Robert Palmer girls


Inspired by David Bowie's package after going to the Alamo's Labyrinth sing-along        


        

Labels: , ,

19 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger That Chelsea Girlâ„¢ said...

Have you seen Duets?
If not, it's hilarious, you should totally see it...and congrats!

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger @AndyAche said...

whatever James Spader is awesome.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger Hipstercrite said...

-Chelsea- No, but I remember when that Huey Lewis/Gwenyth Paltrow song came out!

-Andy- I already commented on your blog. That's how much I want you to know that I love James Spader.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Christine Macdonald said...

God GOD that's fun! Can't wait to listen to you now... =)

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha that looks like a shit ton of fun. I dont eeven have the balls!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger "Julie" said...

omg that's amazing. i'm going to be in atc this weekend, so maybe ill have to check it out!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Julie, The Wife said...

I've seen karaoke, but never, never karaoke humping. Awesome.

My town has the John Deere museum...where does that rank us on the Cool-o-meter? Have you ever sat in the cab of a million-dollar Deere? It makes you grow a pair. And possibly hump something.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger The Peach Tart said...

Looks like so much fun.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Hipstercrite said...

Kiki- It is so much freaking fun. I love it. It really makes me feel more confident.

Nathanael- I bet you could. Especially if you have a drink.

Julie- Austin is a big karaoke town. Check out Ego's on South Congress. That is where we go.

Julie-The Wife- That's ok. The small town I'm from has absolutely nothing in it. Ronny James Dio was born there then left. That's about it.

The Peach Tart- It's too much fun.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger IT (aka Ivan Toblog) said...

First - Austin, next - Facebook, next - the World.
You rock!!!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Grant said...

Lauren you are a Dorkus Malorkus.

I challenge you to a round of dareokee. I pick your song. You pick mine. Two enter battle, only one remains. Bring it.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Apryl said...

I am obsessed with karaoke.

At one point could tell you 7 nights a week where it was happenin in various places in Greater Boston!

Now just my weekend life.

Ah parenthood, you messed up my mojo.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Leigh Hutchens Burch said...

I won $50.00 in a karaoke contest once.

I love karaoke. Other than writing, it's my favorite hobby.

I want to go now!

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Ms. P said...

I love me some people who take karoake seriously... a-maz-ing.

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger Christopher said...

I hit play on that song from the post up above and I'm glad I did. It made for the perfect montage music for karaoke photos. Good stuff.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Angie said...

Oh god I love Karaoke. I'm so jealous you have fun events like that! All we have around here are seedy bars and bowling alleys.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Kori said...

magic and rainbows. seriously. also my google account is not my blogging account, but i don't know how to do open id on your blog!

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I swear one of my friends is addicted to karaoke... after he joined a team, I started seeing him half as much as before!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Ashley said...

That's almost enough to make me dare enter Texas... and I NEVER thought I'd say that. Few things are powerful enough to overcome the fright-fest that is Texas (namely, Texans), but Karaoke is a very powerful weapon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home