This Page

has been moved to new address

Woodstock Is The Same Age as Jason Bateman

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hipstercrite: Woodstock Is The Same Age as Jason Bateman

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Woodstock Is The Same Age as Jason Bateman


Bathtub time is reserved for either listening to Hall & Oates and crying or coming up with ideas for new blog posts. One action does not necessarily inspire the other, but this morning the two converged. As I contemplated how much Daryl Hall really fucking loved Sara, I thought of the Woodstock Music Festival which celebrated it's 40th anniversary this weekend and had nothing to do with Hall & Oates whatsoever. In fact, Daryl Hall and John Oates had only met two years prior to the legendary concert. I guess the awesomemulletmoustache duo came to mind because my mother loves them and she loved every single band that played at Woodstock. So in my mind, Hall & Oates played at Woodstock because my mother would have wanted them to.

My mother was nineteen years old when Woodstock took place in an upstate NY farm not far from where she grew up. She's the only person over fifty that I talked today so I asked her her experiences with the festival.

"Oh yeah, I didn't go." she said before I even finished asking her the question.

"Why not?"

"Well because three different boys asked me to go and I was really afraid that if I went with one, I'd run into the other two."

She thinks for a moment.

"I remember sitting at my Uncle Harry's house in Endicott, listening to the radio reports of what was going on and thinking, "Oh shit, I want to go go go!"

"So why didn't you?"

"I don't know. I was afraid they weren't going to have enough toilets."

The End.

*Post-script- my mother politely asked me not use anyone's names in this post because obviously one of the three men who asked her to Woodstock 40 years ago might get offended.


Labels:

9 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger Chris Gooch said...

I would have loved to go to Woodstock! Mainly for Hendrix obviously. Failing that, go and see Dylan at The Isle of Wight festival later that year.

The chances of your mum running into one of those boys in a crowd of half a million? Slim to none. Your story about your mum? Priceless!

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Hipstercrite said...

Mysterg- yeah, i left out the part where she said, "nobody had any idea how big it was going to be." hence her reasoning. my mom did see hendrix once and said the concert was like "something from another planet".

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Chris Gooch said...

Oh and I forgot Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

Back in the day when bands used to sing live, write their own songs and be against 'the man'. And there were nine planets. Now we've lost Hendrix and Pluto - We've never had it so bad.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger hmla2599 said...

Ha. Great story. And the image of these competing boys is in line with the image in my head of your mother (from your family post).

In a non-anniversary-of-Woodstock converstation, I recently said that the first Woodstock is high on my list of time travel destinations. My male suitor said it was too dirty.

I can't tell if this Woodstock movie is going to be any good, but Emile Hirsch is in it, so I'll see it...your thoughts?

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger tennysoneehemingway said...

If only Hall and Oates had've played Woodstock, they might have had something of a career.....

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Hipstercrite said...

Mysterg- i can't think of a witty response, but you're very right.

Hannah- check out ithaca, ny while you're at it. hmm...a woodstock movie eh? gonna check out the trailer right now.

Hemingway- take that shit back! take it back now!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger mr. nichols said...

wow. what incredible story. and your post script had me cracking up.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger That Chelsea Girlâ„¢ said...

That's funny! I know a few people who went, and they said they had fun, but at the time they didn't realize the historical impact.

 
At 5:08 AM, Blogger Organic Meatbag said...

Time to pop my collar and listen to "Your kiss is on my list"... Oh John Oates, how could you spite your own face by shaving off your stache???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home