This Page

has been moved to new address

This Post IS About ACL, but NOT About ACL Afterparties. Sorry.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hipstercrite: This Post IS About ACL, but NOT About ACL Afterparties. Sorry.

Friday, September 16, 2011

This Post IS About ACL, but NOT About ACL Afterparties. Sorry.


Well, it appears that I am going to ACL! A photographer friend was nice enough to hook me up with a
writing gig. I will be writing a recap of the festival for Consequence of Sound- a New York and Chicago-based music blog. I'm pretty stoked, but running late, so I have to go!

Check out this post I wrote over at CultureMap. It is a dialogue between my mother and I on the line-up for this year's ACL fest. Who does she think sucks ass? Who does she thinks rocks? That woman is full of surprises.

Gosh, I love her...

________________________________________

My mother and I have dramatically different music tastes. When I was a young girl, I’d listen to her record collection from the 60s and 70s while she bought the latest Top 40 CDs. As she bounced around the house singing songs from Will Smith's "Gettin' Jiggy With It" or Right Said Fred's "I Have No Idea What the Album is Called Nor Do I Care—two albums she still proudly listens to—I was mimicking David Byrne's dance moves in front of the TV while watching the newly discovered 15th anniversary release of Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense."...

I'm going to ACL this year, and I was curious to see what my mother's stance was on the headliners. Do we still differ in tastes? Has she meandered over into the indie realm yet or is she still stuck in 1995?
I played my mother excerpts from this year's headliners' most famous songs. Our conversation went as follows:

Ryan Bingham:"Hallelujah"
Mom: (snickering)
Me: What are you laughing at?
Mom: I like the guitar, but it sounds like he needs to clear his throat.
Me: You don't like?
Mom: No. When he started singing, I was like "Whoa!" I turned down the volume to see if it would sound better. It didn't.
Me: What rating do you give him?
Mom: I'd give him a four out of ten and a cough drop.

CONT...

3 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Kate said...

i am loving those glasses.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Hipstercrite said...

I lost those glasses. They were my favorite thing on the planet. :(

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous rental mobil said...

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home