This Page

has been moved to new address

Birthdays are for Winners Like My Mother

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Hipstercrite: Birthdays are for Winners Like My Mother

Monday, August 23, 2010

Birthdays are for Winners Like My Mother

It is my mother's birthday today.
It's a milestone one.
I'm sure she wouldn't like me telling you her age, but here is a hint- she was three years old when she had me.

I was not able to make it home for my mother's birthday. She lives in New York and I live in Texas.

This fact tore me up.

I took off the weekend just in case I was going to be able to magically fly home, but I didn't magically do anything this weekend. Instead I moped around the house and contemplated human existence, listened to Stevie Wonder's "Songs in the Key of Life" on loop, and shed a tiny tear every time the song "As" came on.

Considering I wasn't able to make it home, I'd like to take this time to wish my amazing mother a wonderful birthday.

Will you please help me in wishing my mom a Happy 30th?

---------------------------

You did everything right, but sometimes doing right just doesn't guarantee you anything.

Aren't you the one to always tells me that?

"You can't be afraid to live life out of fear of getting hurt."

And boy, did you get hurt.

But being the resilient woman you are, you took on the challenge of being a single mother like a pro and you gave me the best childhood anyone could ask for. So good in fact, that I don't think I've quite gotten over it.

We've had some great times, haven't we?

You and me against the world.

Thank you for being my number one fan, the first person I can call when the wonderful and the terrible happens. Thank you for always believing in me when I did not; when you'd create whole scraps books to remind me of how much I've accomplished. Thank you for telling me when I'm being a boob, even when I don't like hearing it.

I'm so thankful to be like you- Jewish guilt trippin' and all (I will say that I tried fighting that one tooth and nail).

My only fear Mom is that you haven't done everything that you've wanted to do.

Let's change that, huh?

No more playing safe.

It's time now.





Labels:

22 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Emily Louise Church said...

Happy Birthday Lauren's mum!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy b-day purdy layday... you've got a peach of a daughter

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

you look so much like your mom!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger April said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Higgipedia said...

Thank you to the Crow for bringing me the Thackeray quote "Mother is the word for God on the lips and hearts of children." A day doesn't go by where I don't think of my mother (1955-2005). Much like yours, she struck out on her own with a child in tow (me) and we were closer and better for it.

So, I certainly understand and appreciate your post. Happy birthday to your mom!

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Christina Harper said...

Happy birthday!!!!!!! Hope it turned out to be an excellent one.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Sophie Neutron said...

How sweet are you...mums are great!!!

Happy Birthday Hipstermomma!
Judging by the pictures; you don't have much trouble finding a reason to smile. Even so, I hope your birthday is filled with a gazillion trillion and ¾ more reasons.

My favourite reason to smile on birthdays is wearing stupid, cheap, hats and getting away with it...not that I don't wear them anyway

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Christine Macdonald said...

What a beautiful post. You know, just the fact you wanted to go be w/ her sometimes makes all the difference. Happy Birthday mom. You've got one helluva daughter.

PS: That 1st pic looks like Waikiki...

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Serafina said...

What a great post! Your mother is beautiful. I hope she's having an amazingly awesome day (and week, and month, and year).

- Tiff

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Punchy said...

Happy B-day --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcloTmvTeA

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Benny said...

Happy 30th, Lauren's mom!

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger the Tsaritsa said...

A very happy 30th to your Ma!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger laurenne said...

Your mom is adorable. And, yes, just like mine! I'm sending this to her right now.
Thanks, lovebird!

Stevie Wonder. nice.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger TESSHDZ said...

Feliz Cumpleaños! Que mujer tan bella! :D

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Your mom is fierce. Happy Birthday!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Tabitha Wells said...

Happy Birthday Lauren's mom!!!!

Lauren, your mom is GORGEOUS!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger hmla2599 said...

Beautiful, Lauren.

I love when you write about your family.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Randall Nichols said...

She's a beautiful lady, and lucky to have a daughter who cares so much. I'm not a picture person, honestly, but I deeply enjoy seeing pictures like this, and coupled with what you've written... well, it's just all wonderful.

Thank you for sharing all this.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Big Mark 243 said...

Happy birthday to a lovely and resilient woman!! And a shout to the wonderful daughter that she shared with the world as well!

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger StrangeBird said...

Happy Birthday to a special Mum :)

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Hipstercrite said...

Thanks everyone for the b-day wishes! My Momma had a great birthday, so she says. I know she's lying because it would have been a lot better if I was there. ;)

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks to all for your b-day wishes. This birthday reminded me of how blessed I am and I do have the BEST daughter. Lauren, you and I will celebrate in September. O and P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home